How to Change a Door Knob and Lock Set
Here we are, sharing the secrets of our trade. Don’t worry! This one is fairly easy, but if you’d rather have help, feel free to contact us today!
DIY Door Knob/Lock Replacement
1. Remove the old lock cylinder halves. Use a hand screwdriver to remove screws.
2. Remove lock bolt. If attached to mortise plate, remove the 2 screws. If pressed in, push out from the cylinder hole.
3. Remove the strike plate from the door jamb by removing the 2 screws and then the plate itself.
4. Install the new lock bolt. They usually come with the mortise plate attached. If the old lock bolt hand plate is attached, install the new one in the same fashion. If not, follow the manufacturer’s instructions to remove the mortise plate and install it by pressing on the inside of the door.
5. Install the cylinder halves. Make sure the half with the threaded stems is properly through the slots in the lock bolt. Install the other half, threading in the screws by hand to make sure they are properly threaded in. Finish tightening with a hand screwdriver.
6. Install the new strike plate on the door jamb. Align with the previous holes and install the new screws. If holes are stripped out, you can push in wooden toothpicks to fill in old holes and break off flush with the wood jamb.
If you’d rather have a professional complete the work, call Odd Job Larry at 262-287-7391. There is no job too big or too small!